You know how it is. You have a favourite recipe that you make week in and week out for months and then something changes and you forget all about it. Well that’s what happened to these delicious energy balls. I simply stopped making them – no idea why as I love them, I’d just forgotten all about them. I remembered them this morning and cooked up a batch (technically there’s no real cooking involved so even the kids could make them. I think that using a good quality plant based protein is key here as the whey variety really isn’t serving you. Have a go and let me know what you think.
1/4 cup ground flax seed + 3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons maple syrup (you could also use honey if you’re not vegan) Or if you’ve been sugar free for a while you may be able to replace with water and eliminate it altogether!
2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup ground hemp seeds
2 – 4 tablespoons cocao nibs – depending on how much crunch you want
2 scoops Arbonne chocolate protein powder (20g protein)
1/2 cup almond butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
Coconut to roll them in (optional)
1. Mix the ground flax seed and water together in a small measuring cup and set aside to thicken. This is how I make a flax egg for my vegan recipes too
2. Melt the coconut oil and maple syrup together and set aside to cool slightly
3. Combine all the other ingredients in a large bowl and mix to combine.
4. Add the coconut oil, maple syrup mixture and stir to combine.
5. Using a small scooper or a large spoon, scoop out 1 tablespoon of the mixture and roll into a ball, continuing until all of the mixture is rolled into balls. You can also roll them in cocnut if desired.
6. Place the balls on a large plate lined with parchment paper and refrigerate for at least thirty minutes. Makes about 16 balls.
7. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. Believe me, they’re so tasty they won’t last that long!