At this time of year there's nothing better than a firm cabbage roasted and caramelised to perfection. Yum yum.
- 1 Hispi cabbage, trimmed and quartered lengthways
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pinches coconut sugar or Xylitol
- 110g cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped chives
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C, Gas Mark 6
- Put the cabbage into an oven proof baking dish or roasting tray with the strips of red pepper, whole garlic cloves and the olive oil, season with the coconut sugar, salt and pepper.
- Turn it all over with your hands so that the veg is all nicely coated with the oil
- Roast for 40-45 minutes, turning once or twice so that the cabbage browns here and there.
- Now add the cherry tomatoes, and return to the oven for about 5 minutes to heat the tomatoes through.
- Remove from oven, spoon over the balsamic vinegar. Toss quickly, then taste and adjust seasoning as necessary
- Sprinkle over the chives and serve warm or hot