We felt it was time for a change from our absolute favourite Morcoccan Spiced cauliflower steak recipe . We’re not even fed up with it - it’s honestly a weekly staple when cauliflower is in season, but we knew you’d like a new recipe, and so would we if for no other reason than to make my photos on Instagram look different! So we bring you Spiced Cauliflower steaks. Dusted with spice and roasted until tender, then sprinkled with pumpkin seeds and fried shallots and served with greens of your choice. Delicious.
10 mins to prepare and 25-30 mins to cook
· 4 tbsp olive oil
· 1 large cauliflower or 2 small cauliflowers, outer leaves removed, cut into 4 x 1cm thick slices
· 1 tsp ground cumin
· 1 tsp ground coriander
· 1 tsp smoked paprika
· 6 shallots, finely sliced
· 30g pumpkin seeds, toasted
· 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
· 1 tsp cumin seeds
· ½ lemon, zested and juiced
· handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
· seasonal greens to serve
1. Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan. Add 2 cauliflower slices and pan-fry for 2 mins on each side. Mix together the ground spices. Dust the cauliflower slices on both sides with half the spice mix, season with salt and fry for another 1-2 mins on each side until golden. Set aside on a nonstick baking sheet. Clean the pan with kitchen paper and repeat with the remaining cauliflower slices.
2. Roast the cauliflower for 10-15 mins, until tender.
3. Meanwhile, add the remaining oil and the shallots to the pan and fry over a medium heat for 2-3 mins. Add the pumpkin seeds and fry for another 3-4 mins, then add the garlic and cumin seeds and fry for another minute. Add the lemon zest and juice, then season.
4. Top the cauliflower with the shallots, pumpkin seeds and chopped parsley, and serve immediately with the steamed green beans and broccoli (or whichever green veg takes your fancy).
If you liked this recipe you might also like: