While it’s absolutely fine to slap a facemask on anytime and anywhere (well within reason I guess - perhaps not on your commute), you might be surprised to learn that there is a correct way to apply a facial mask.
Whether you’re after a mask that cleanses, plumps, soothes or pampers these simple and easy to follow steps will help you get the most out of any and every facial you do from now on.
Here's what to do:
- Start off with bare skin that is free of any makeup or lotions. I like to double cleanse using an exfoliating cleanser to begin with then a cream cleanser. The first cleanse removes makeup, dirt and pollution from the day while the second cleanse actually cleans and refreshes the skin.
- Moisten a fresh, clean washcloth with hot water. Ensure it’s hot enough to generate steam but not so hot that it will scald your face. You don’t want to burn your skin.
- Drape the hot washcloth over your face. This will help open your pores, prepping your skin for your treatment. Depending on the directions on your mask, leave your skin damp or pat it dry accordingly.
- Scoop the mask into the palm of one hand using a clean spoon or spatula. Never dip your finger into a pot of cream or a mask as the bacteria under your finger nails and the enzymes in your skin will contaminate it and may even react with the product and make it go off more quickly.
- Using two fingers, gently spread the mixture onto your face in a slow, circular motion. Avoid your eyes, lips, and nostrils. Depending on the thickness of the mask I sometimes applying it with a clean paintbrush or foundation makeup brush.
- Follow the directions on how long to leave the masque on and how to remove it. Never leave a mask with clay or acidic ingredients longer than 15 minutes and always cleanse and moisturise after removing especially if you’re using a mask with active enzymes like the Arbonne Cellular Renewal Mask.
Here’s my Favourite masks and what I use them for:
Cellular Renewal Mask – Use once or twice a week to help reveal your healthiest looking complexion. The active botanical exfoliants of pineapple and papaya enzymes in this mask work together to gently remove dead skin cells to minimise the look of pores and improve the appearance of skin tone for a fresh looking skin. The result? Skin that feels velvety soft with an out of this world glow and not an open pore in sight!
Use 1–2 times per week at night. Apply a generous layer over clean skin and leave on for 5–7 minutes then rinse. Slight transient tingling or redness may be experienced and is normal
for a mask of this type. For this reason I always use it at night when I can apply my night cream and take my youthful skin off to bed!
Soothing Overnight Mask - Take your skin to the next level while you sleep. It’s when we sleep that out skin repairs and balances itself. This lightweight mask can help too as it calms, soothes and hydrates skin to reveal improved skin tone and a healthier looking complexion.
Apply evenly over clean skin and wait until completely dry and go to sleep. Rinse thoroughly in the morning and continue with your daily regime. Apply 2–3 times a week or as often as needed.
Detox Face Mask - I love this amazing clay mask that quite literally pulls out blackheads like a magnet! You’ll see the difference instantly.
This creamy French pink clay formula cleanses to draw out impurities from the skin’s surface like a magnet, resulting in smaller looking pores. Utilising an oil pulling technology with 5 self-neutralising acids to help clarify and brighten the appearance of skin tone, the mask transitions from wet to dry to visibly show where excess sebum is drawn out. Balanced out with hydrating rosemary oil so your skin is never stripped of moisture, you’ll see this is a true performer.
Apply a thin layer to a clean face, avoiding the eye area once or twice a week.
After fifteen minutes, or once mask appears dry, wash off thoroughly with lukewarm water and pat dry. Slight transient tingling or redness may be experienced and is normal for a mask of this type.
If you'd like more skincare advice, tips and tricks to ensure you have a healthy glow, get in touch.